English language challenges in Nigeria

 I have found something amusing 


On different occasions I have been confronted very rudely,  by those who, for reasons best known to them,  think one has to speak in  a flat, monotonous intonation and, poor pronunciation in order not to  be "fake"


"You are Faking it; speak normal, speak like a Nigerian stop speaking through your nose" a man once told me in a crowded place haha!


Then I asked him, Sir, how do you define "What is normal?"


"What exactly is the normal way to speak the English language in Nigeria?" He continued with the verbal attack 


I said to him "you and I are speaking the English language as a second language. While you took your time to learn your grammar, tenses etc. I took a step further to work on my pronunciation, intonation, stress patterns etc. "

"i thought If you're going to speak another man's language, why can't you make the effort to speak like the natives, after all, you have your first language." He kept quiet like he wasn't there and with his tail tucked in between his legs, disappeared. 


He's just one out of so many.. 

What do you think? 

Please leave your comments below 👇👇👇

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Long is Too Long to Date/Court?

Pastor Ize-Iyamu - The Election wasn't Free and Fair